Wednesday 30 June 2021

Flax Art!

This week is the Matariki week for our class/school. Matariki is a star cluster. The maori people use it as a sign for their new year. People say that if you can see the matariki stars clearly it's going to be a good year. To celebrate we have decided to make Harakeke, which is the Maori name for flax, mats and baskets, and on  Friday we are going to have a free sausage sizzle and put them on either our Harakeke mat or basket. We used the weaving technique to do so for both. The Harakeke basket is a bit more complicated in my opinion but thats just me and I ended up messing up a lot and I made mine the wrong way but it still looks ok! 

                                                    

It curled up and got worse through the night and doesn't look too good from the front but it's still pretty good but I didn't finish my mat. I got a bit of help from my friend Cooper. I'm happy that I've now learnt how to weave and make both a mat and basketout of Harakeke. Have you ever tried weaving? And if you have, did you like doing it and would you do it again? Thank you for taking your time to read my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.